Chronicles of a New Life

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Waitressing

So I have begun my new job as a waitress, though I have yet to actually wait on a customer, or "guest" as they call them. We had a seven hour orientation during which we filled out a zillion papers and read twice as many and listened to the coordinating manager tell stories about "moose" (not mousse mind you..but moose..the animals). The following day we learned the ticket menu, or rather abbreviations for checks, that took around seven hours as well. I have a new-found respect for all restaurant staff, there is an outrageous amount to learn..and that's just reading and writing the check, not including what we have yet to learn about setting up the plates and trays and memorizing the menus and learning what sides go with what entrees. Hopefully it will all just click when I get out on the floor and actually start serving. The other girls from my orientation class didn't seem to be grasping it all so well, but I guess we shall see how they do, I think I'll be just fine. Tomorrow begins my first of two days of shadowing, hopefully she will allow me help as well and not just watch, I learn better when it's hands on. Tomorrow will be the fourth day I've worked this week and I'm scheduled for friday as well..I suppose that means I have off saturday and sunday :) After friday I will be shadowed by a trainer at which time she will determine if I am ready to have my own table and if so..I'm off and serving by next week and will finally be getting some cash ;) cause we all know that's what it's all about. The way they are suddenly deciding to be strict about the dress code is very frustrating..we have to startch our clothes so they look freshly pressed and take out any visible piercings except one per earlobe..which means I have to take out the one in my cartilage which has never been without an earring and so hopefully it won't close, but the one I am really worried about is my tongue. They keep bitching about having to take out tongue rings, though no one has seen or heard mine yet and I haven't taken it out and don't intend to, I feel badly that I'm breaking a rule that they are trying so hard to enforce. I keep trying to get a retainer for it online but the site is being ridiculous and rejecting my credit card, so I suppose I'll have to wait until I get some cash and head over to a piercing place and pay the insane price they always want for their jewelry and buy one there next weekend. Ugh. Until then I suppose I'll just have to hope they don't see it, since it is now grounds for termination. Oh well..and with that, I'm off to the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home